Marital Or Relationship Problems
Are you stuck in a pattern of repeating the same mistakes in your relationship(s), or making poor choices in partners?
The following are some indicators that you may have unresolved issues within yourself that are preventing you from experiencing the love relationship you really want:
You choose partners who abuse, ignore, or are incompatible with you (even though they may have seemed different at first).
- Just when things seem to be going well, you do something to sabotage your relationship(s).
- You are only happy if you are the one in control of the relationship, regardless of how your partner feels.
- You feel as though you cannot live without your partner, even though he or she shows little interest in your needs.
- You have turned away from your value system so that you can be with your partner.
- You have been allowing your partner to disrespect you.
- You feel jealous a lot and afraid of losing your partner. You are uncomfortable when you do not know where he or she is.
- You are usually giving more emotionally than you are receiving in the relationship.
- You find yourself constantly trying to please your partner so he or she will accept you, even though he or she never seems to be satisfied.
- Being with your partner has become more important to you than providing quality time for your children.
Be honest with yourself!
If you are with a partner who ignores you or treats you badly and shows no interest in changing . . . YOU are making a choice to tolerate his or her behavior. Even if you cannot change your partner, a good look at yourself in such a situation can make a tremendous difference in your life. It may be time to treat yourself with more self-respect!
In Marital and Couple Counseling, Dr. Cummings Nicholson focuses on:
- Using effective communication skills.
- Taking responsibility for your own actions instead of trying to change your partner.
- Establishing joint goals for the relationship and joint strategies to achieve them.
- Conflict resolution without violence or verbal assaults.
- Improving negotiation skills and setting personal boundaries.
- Demonstrating respect for yourself and your partner.
- Working together on parenting issues, rather than letting childrearing differences pull you apart.
Dr. Cummings Nicholson offers individual, pre-marital, marital, and couple counseling.
The first step in changing the quality of your relationship may be as simple as calling to request an appointment.
Dr. Cummings Nicholson
Thimble Shoals Counseling & Therapy Center
703 Thimble Shoals Blvd. A-3
Newport News, VA 23606
Visit Thimble Shoals Counseling Center
Mon. - Fri. Days and Evenings
Site visitors may contact
Dr. Cummings Nicholson through the following link, as well as by phone,
for more information on services or to make an initial appointment